The NPD results were delayed a week for E3 2011. Yesterday they were released, so let's take a look at the top-sellers for the month of May. These numbers are courtesy of NeoGAF.
4-week tracking month; Reporting Period 5/1/11 through 5/28/11
Software (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive - 899K
02. Brink (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks - 401K [360/PS3 Only]
03. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
04. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
05. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive - 292K
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
09. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
10. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Lucasarts
Xbox 360: 270K (+39%) [Best Selling Console]
PlayStation 3: 177K (+15%)
The top winner of the Showcase Showdown is L.A. Noire with over 800,000 copies purchased. Wait a minute. How did that Price is Right line get in there? No matter. I'm surprised by the critical flop known as Brink making second place even with all the poor scores. Again it seems like good advertising always prevails. In third place is the latest of the LEGO series of games followed closely by Portal 2. Mortal Kombat fights its way to fifth place showcasing another fighter with decent legs. The rest of the list is your regulars that have enough fight to stay on the top ten.
On the console side of the spectrum, thanks to Kinect, the Xbox 360 wins out the month once again while the PlayStation 3 gets a "good luck for trying" badge. The Wii winds up somewhere in the middle, and the 3DS barely gets off the ground for yet another month.