It's a week or two late, but there's still some discussion to be had over the latest numbers (or lack thereof) from the fine folks at the NPD group.
5-week tracking month; Reporting Period 5/29/11 through 7/2/11
Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive - 419,000
02. Duke Nukem Forever (360, PS3, PC) Take 2 Interactive - 376,300
03. Infamous 2 (PS3) Sony - 369,200
04. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
05. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Nintendo - 283,200
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
08. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive
09. Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
10. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
Xbox 360 - 507,000
Wii - 273,000
PS3 - ~276,000 (extrapolated)
3DS - 143,000
DS - 386,000
It's important to note that Microsoft needed to tie-in a deal for buying a laptop and getting a free 360 as a deal to get sales. This pattern will continue throughout the summer. Kinect does not seem to be making an impact as no games are in the top ten. Pretty lame if you ask this blogger. Then again, Microsoft turned their back on the core gamer, so I'm a bit bitter. Regardless, the Wii continues its downward slide. It's natural for a console in this stage in its life. It's unnatural for a console in the 360's age to be selling so well. You can't short change Microsoft there, no matter how badly I want to try.
The DS continues to pull in big numbers while the 3DS continues to struggle. It's obviously doomed, Nintendo should cancel all games and focus on the Wii. It's as simple as that. Vita wins.
On the software-side of things, InFAMOUS 2 takes top reigns as best-selling single SKU game followed by the remake of the Ocarina of Time 3D. L.A. Noire impresses as does Mortal Kombat which stays on the charts to my surprise. Sadly, and all "hardcore" gamers should feel bad about is that stinking pile of crap, Duke Nukem Forever, taking the number two spot. Do you guys love buying bad games or what? Ugh. This gen is depressing. No wonder I'm rooting for a collapse.