September flew by with many big titles released including Gears of War 3, Resistance 3, and Dead Island. Let's see how they and the consoles did with our look at the September 2011 NPD results taken from NeoGAF.
5-week tracking month; Reporting Period 8/28/11 through 10/1/11
Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)** Electronic Arts
02. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft (Corp)
03. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC) Deep Silver
04. FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS) Electronic Arts
05. NHL 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
06. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc
07. Resistance 3 (PS3) Sony (Corp)
08. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PSP, PC) LucasArts
09. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
10. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC) THQ
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Xbox 360: 438K (PR)
Playstation 3: 364K-374K (Calculations deduced from Sony and MS PR percentages)
Nintendo 3DS: 260K (PR)
Wii: 240K (PR)
Nintendo DS: 145K (PR)
Madden came up as the big winner beating out the two million seller in Gears of War 3. Meanwhile, Call of Duty: Black Ops is simply relentless, not showing any signs of dropping off of the top ten. Dead Island did well lunging its way onto the number four three spot, FIFA showed that while football may be more popular in America, soccer is still a spectacular sport for Americans, and Resistance 3 fought its way onto the number seven spot.
Speaking of hardware, there was no doubt that with the blockbuster release of Gears 3 and its huge momentum that the Xbox 360 would be number one once again. The fifty dollar price cut of the PlayStation 3 proved enough to score second place while the Nintendo 3DS is on the rebound, selling an admirable amount of units. The Wii continues to be on cruise control. Will it have a hot holiday season like it usually does, or are consumers over the system completely? I guess we'll find out when November and December NPD results are posted.